Makakatana Bay Lodge
Found in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park on the banks of Lake St Lucia, Makakatana Bay is a wetland and wildlife paradise. Enjoy the serenity and beauty of unspoiled beaches and vast wetlands showing off the unique and pristine wilderness of the reserve with the addition to a luxurious safari holiday.
R6 300 pp/night
About the Lodge
Experience the magic and wonder of unspoiled beaches, vast wetlands, game drives, and an unforgettable boat cruise on Lake St Lucia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This sacred family-owned and run lodge is situated on the western shores of Lake St Lucia, in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park in KwaZulu-Natal. Get to know the more than 1000 hippos and 1200 crocodiles on our personalised adventure-filled safaris exploring this treasured park. Our passionate rangers take you on full-day safaris to explore the Wetlands, non-coastal dune forests, pristine beaches seeking out wildlife and over 500 bird species.
The main area of Makakatana Lodge has a communal area with personal service designed for relaxation and comfort. The main lodge is where all meals are served either upon a raised deck wrapped around the lodge or the eccentric boma illustrating "shabeen chic".
The lodge boasts a bar, a nearby wine cellar which is more commonly known as the "Old Crab House" as well as a nearby private bush pool on the edge of Lake St Lucia.
There are five standard rooms, three of which are twin rooms and two that are double rooms. Each room features a an outdoor bath and shower, balcony, air-con and mini bar.
The family rooms are perfect for four guests with one double bed and two single beds in the second inter-leading bedroom. With an outdoor shower and bath, guests can experience the bush in an ultra-luxurious manner.
The honeymoon suite overlooks an open field where animals such as warthogs, red duikers, nyalas, bush babies, and a variety of bird life congregate. This suite features an outdoor shower, mini bar and is fully air-conditoned.
Take an exceptional cruise along Lake St Lucia or dip your feet in the warm Indian Ocean at one the most pristine coastlines in South Africa for an unforgettable experience.
- Accommodation in standard room
- All meals
- Teas and coffees
- One Wetland Game Drive
- All beverages
- Conservation fee of R80 per adult and R40 per child, per day
- iSimangaliso gate fees – to be paid in cash on entry (subject to change):
- Park Entrance Fee of R66 per adult and R40 per child, per entry
- Community levy of R15 per person
- Overnight levy of R15 per person
- Vehicle entry fee of R80 per vehicle (1 – 5 people)
- Personal expenses
- Additional activities
- Bar and mini bar account
Valid for travel until 30 June 2021
- Fully inclusive rate available at R4 550 per person, per night
- Afternoon wetland game drive on the day of arrival: A-day-at-Makakatana Bay
- Morning wetland game drive on the day of departure
- Stay a minimum of 2 nights, where a full day is available, the lodge takes you on a spectacular journey that includes a boat trip and western shores game drive with a picnic lunch: Cruise on Lake St Lucia
- Stay for 3 nights, where 2 full days are available, a second full day journey is included and the lodge takes you to the eastern shores and beach which includes a picnic lunch: Beach & Bush
- Higher room categories and family suites available – please contact us
WHY WE LIKE IT
- Just a short drive from Durban and Richard’s Bay, Makakatana Bay Lodge is perfectly positioned on the banks of Lake St Lucia within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. In a world of its own, it gives guests the opportunity to experience unspoiled beaches, vast wetlands and wildlife through their various tailor-made activities (at an additional cost).
- The 328 000 hectare reserve was South Africa’s first world heritage site and encompasses five major ecological zones. The iSimangaliso Wetland Park has an impressive list of 526 bird species.
- Each room is surrounded by bush providing privacy and intimacy. However, guests can expect frequent visits from warthogs, red duikers, nyalas, bush babies, and a variety of bird life which can be viewed from your very own deck.
iSimangaliso Wetland Park, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
Children of all ages are welcome